[THIN] Re: OT: W32time, NTP and Novell

  • From: "Matt Kosht" <matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:59:04 -0400

I have searched the tree for login script that contains this and there
is not SET_TIME on  anywhere.  I have tried SET_TIME off but still sets
the time to Novell.  It works just fine on my XP Pro PC as the same
Novell user.  If I do it on the Citrix server it sets the time.  Makes
me suspect a bug in the Novell client (feign surprise).

I have not been successful convincing our Netware admins to change the
Novell time source to the Solaris server. So I have to work around it.

-Matt

>>> Phil.Rogers@xxxxxxxxxxx 9/2/2004 9:30:25 AM >>>
Matt/Andrew

The TID linked below suggests that your client settings should work on
their own, but also mentions the login script command.

In the Advanced Settings of the client, there is an option to turn
"Set
Station Time".  The default setting is on.  To disable the workstation
syncing its time with the server, set this to off.

This can also be accomplished by using the "SET_TIME off" variable in
login script.

If the client setting or login variable is not working, check the
script to make sure that there isnt a "SET_TIME on" entry anywhere.

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10087125.htm

>>> Andrew.Rogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 02/09/04 08:46:49 >>>
To be honest, I dont know :)
I do know that when something goes wrong with our profiles, the login
script comes up saying "Unable to set workstation time".. Although
having looked at our novell login script, there doesnt seem to be any
reference to time in it, so I guess it must be somewhere else or
automatic? Best to find a novell guru!

Could you not set the novell server to receive its time from the
solaris server though? We have other novell servers receiving time
from
the main one, so it ought to be possible, I guess

Andrew
--o--

>>> matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 01/09/04 19:32:40 >>>
What command should I be looking for specifically?

>>> Andrew.Rogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 9/1/2004 10:33:03 AM >>>
Checked the novell login script? Ours tries to force the workstations
to update their time on login

Andrew
--o--

>>> matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 01/09/04 14:50:58 >>>
A Citrix farm I admin uses W2K servers (SP3) and Novell Client 4.83SP2
in a simple workgroup.  I am attempting to keep time synced with a
Solaris NTP server on the same subnet.  To accomplish this  I did the
following on each W2K server

1. net time /setsntp:myntpservername
2. verified settings with: net time /querysntp
3. In the Novell client properties, advanced settings SET STATION TIME
= OFF
4. w32tm -once   forced immediate timesync with time server.
5. verified time was changed to match NTP server successfully

I notice at some point during the day the servers time is changed back
to the Novell servers time.  What am I not checking?  What else could
be
changing the time?
This Weeks Sponsor triCerat:
Have you had your fill of printing support calls, unauthorized apps
running on unsecured Terminal Servers, profile headaches, and
application performance problems? Join us and learn how you can have a
less demanding on-demand enterprise!
http://www.tricerat.com/?page=events#register

[...]

Phil Rogers
Network Support Team
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
020 7958 8354