[THIN] Re: OT: VMWare backups

  • From: "Stefan Timmermans" <stefan.timmermans@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 18:29:55 +0100

I use the cron and snapshot & Quiesce the VM, make an TSM (but you may
choose any other certified backup solution) backup of the frozen VMDK, then
the script executes its commit and the incremental changes are reappied to
the vmdk. it works 100% of times . It worked for ESX 2.5.x but occasionally
missed a backup, on VI3 it works 100% of times (for about 1.5 years). The
only drawback is that my TSM client (backupclient) does not
allow to have more then one session on my host. My backups are sequential
and have a certain hit on my host (as would any backup of a large file), I
have not a clue about other soutions, This one works fine and is
out-of-the-box

  _____