[THIN] Re: OT: VB/VBScript question.

  • From: "Tim Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:38:44 -0500

Chris,

I'll respond with basics to your enquiry on the list - those who don't want
to hear about VB programming can hit the X now ;)  If you want more, contact
me off-line.

Visual Basic is single-threaded.  If your program tries to do something that
it must wait for - such as waiting on a queue, doing a hostname lookup,
sending a message and waiting for a response, etc - the program can do no
other work until it gets what it is waiting for (or times out).  The user
gets no feedback from the program while it is waiting.

VB.NET, which is part of M$ Visual Studio.net (soon to be Visual Studio
2003), supports multi-threading.  This allows the program to start-up
independent threads for different purposes.  So if you have a bunch of
servers to poll, you can spawn of threads that deal with each one.  Or, more
likely, you have a thread that deals with each of the servers serially in
the background while the foreground thread lets the user know what is going
on and maybe allows the user to do other things.  M$ claims moving from VB
to VB.net is very easy.  While it may be true that getting existing VB
programs to run under VB.net is relatively easy, depending on your
experience you may need help/training to do multi-threading.

To use VB.net at runtime you need to have the .net framework installed on
that machine.  While I have had it cause no problems (yet), one is always
cautious about adding in more clutter.  There may also be DLL conflict
advantages with programs written for the framework (M$ would say "are", not
"may".  Don't be too sure about that, yet).

tim
Timothy R. Mangan
Founder TMurgent Technologies
tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx