[THIN] Re: OT - Timesheets [Scanned]

  • From: "Joe Grainger" <JAG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:24:35 +0000

Hi Dave,

I work for an accountants who mysteriously enough like to have an idea
as to where to charge time.

We use an app in which fee earning staff complete timesheets for all
chargeable time in 6 minute units.

Fee Earners also record non-chargeable time, using drop downs to pick
the client, project, and task.  For non chargeable time, they add a
brief text narration describing what the time was spent on, so that the
non-chargeable time can be audited.

Non fee earning staff still complete timesheets.  As they are
"non-chargeable" these are the only type of timesheet entry.  This
records the time worked and no detail is required for what the person
was spending the time doing. The user does have the option to add a text
narration, e.g. if they want to do further analysis on the non
chargeable activities.

 Joe

>>> Dave.Hornby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 06/01/2006 17:09:10 >>>

Basically I'm in a position where my company wants me (And all other
staff)  to submit a daily timesheet that breaks down into EVERY
different task I do (Chargeable and non chargeable)  I can see the point
of doing this for chargeable work but it wastes a lot of time for the
internal non-chargeable stuff.  It also doesn't give a true reflection
of how time is spent.

So (As this is the friendliest list I'm subscribed to :)  ) I thought I
would ask how other companies ask there employees to recorded time.

Ideally I would like them to adopt a system of recording time spend
working on a day with no breakdown, with a list of tasks with priorities
assigned to them so they can see what is going on.  An then just a
breakdown recorded of chargeable work (Which is about 5% of my time)

Thanks for any replies!

Dave