[THIN] Re: OT: Thoughts on Vendors for Suggestions for Backup UPS and or Generator Vendor for medium size computer room

  • From: "Raffensberger, Stephen D" <sraffens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:53:24 -0500

It depends on the criticality of your data center. I assume that a
library's data center is less critical than a business's and cannot not
justify as great an expense.  I also assume that a library is not flush
with cash at the moment. (My daughter works for NYPL. I know how tough
things are.)

However, if you can afford dual stages, Webster is absolutely correct.
Don't spend more on the battery capacity than necessary. Conversely,
remember to allow for future server expansion and the inevitable decline
in battery strength over time.

It sounds like you want to replace the aging UPS. Depending on its
adaptability and condition, maybe you could add the generator stage to
it now and replace the battery stage at a later date.

Good luck. Paint a flaming Indian on it and it will be fine.

Steve Raffensberger

Produban US

Mail Code: 11-900-PB3

1130 Berkshire Boulevard

Wyomissing, PA 19610

sraffens@xxxxxxxxxxx

________________________________

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Jim Kenzig
Subject: [THIN] OT: Thoughts on Vendors for Suggestions for Backup UPS
and or Generator Vendor for medium size computer room

Hi All,
I am running about 70 servers along with disk arrays and a/c on our
current ups in our computer room which lasts about 15 minutes in a power
outage.  This is clearly not enough time to shut down the servers if an
outage lasts past that.  The unit is from 1991.

The question is, If you were setting up a computer room today, what
vendor/model of UPS would you choose for a UPS and would you backup the
backup ups with a power generator?  Is it more cost effective to just
have a UPS that can say for example hold power for 4 hours and hope for
the best, or to get a UPS that lasts for say 2 hours along with a power
generator.

Suggestions of Vendor names and contacts who will work and equipment I
can get  in Ohio would also be a plus. Thanks Guys!
Regards,

Jim Kenzig
http://www.kenzig.com

JPEG image