[THIN] Re: OT: Thoughts on Vendors for Suggestions for Backup UPS and or Generator Vendor for medium size computer room

  • From: "Webster" <webster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:46:55 -0600

APC and get a UPS that will last for as long as it will take the generator
to come online.  The more battery capacity you buy for your UPS, the more
expensive the UPS system (both cost and rack/server room space).

Webster

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Jim Kenzig
Subject: [THIN] OT: Thoughts on Vendors for Suggestions for Backup UPS and
or Generator Vendor for medium size computer room

Hi All,
I am running about 70 servers along with disk arrays and a/c on our current
ups in our computer room which lasts about 15 minutes in a power outage.
This is clearly not enough time to shut down the servers if an outage lasts
past that.  The unit is from 1991.

The question is, If you were setting up a computer room today, what
vendor/model of UPS would you choose for a UPS and would you backup the
backup ups with a power generator?  Is it more cost effective to just have a
UPS that can say for example hold power for 4 hours and hope for the best,
or to get a UPS that lasts for say 2 hours along with a power generator.

Suggestions of Vendor names and contacts who will work and equipment I can
get  in Ohio would also be a plus. Thanks Guys!
Regards,

Jim Kenzig
http://www.kenzig.com