[THIN] OT: Storing Password with Reverse Incryption

  • From: Christopher Wilson <christofire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 06:35:57 -0600

Yesterday, I was trouble shooting a problem with the account that
accesses my SQL datastore.  We use NT authentication for the
connection to the datastore, and problems arose when my Citrix servers
were suddenly unable to communicate with the datastore for above 96
hours, thus locking out any new connections.  Issue was resolved by
resetting the password on the account, and reconfiguring the Citrix
servers with dsmaint.

All of that said, the only change I can see that happened to the
service account to begin with is that someone checked the account
property "Store Password with Reverse Encryption".  Anyone seen
problems with this before?  I am on the right track in assuming this
is a probable cause?  Nothing else changed on the account.

Just trying to glean as much as I can from what was most likely a self
inflicted problem...

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Christopher
http://www.seamlessplanet.com