[THIN] Re: OT: Store files in SQL Server 2005 or Filesystem

  • From: "Keith Sirmons" <ksirmons@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 16:31:33 -0500

That is a good idea to look into a document management system, but the
question still remains SQL store or Filesystem?  We are not concerned
with HIPPA (lucky us!)

If we were to look into a document management system, it would have to
be highly customizable, almost to the point of just providing the .NET
controls and letting us program against them similar to the leadtools
development kits.

Does the common consensus about not storing files inside the database
come from history, the older databases had a hard time with it so it is
ingrained in our minds as never being an option?
Does SQL 2000 Terraserver prove that it can "handle" files inside the
database quite well?  I think it was handling up to 35 million hits per
day.
Doesn't SQL 2005 store XML files natively now?  Isn't that just a BLOB
in the most basic sense?

Thank you for your suggestions,
Keith

Keith Sirmons

College of Veterinary Medicine

>>> Mark.Landin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 7/6/2006 3:36:49 PM >>>
What you are talking about is basically a document management system.
Have you considered buying something off-the-shelf rather than rolling
your own? Since you are a veterinary hospital, I presume you don't
have
to worry about HIPAA complications (right?) so a straight document
management backend with a little custom code for your own interface
might do the trick.