[THIN] OT: Still Wednesday humor..More scam stuff

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thethin.net" <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 22:47:40 -0400

OMG....OK..it is still Wednesday here in the US.  You know how you get those
Nigerian scam letters that say you'll receive $20 million dollars....I never
thought about it but that amount of money would weigh a ton!! Not to mention
the sheer amount of space it would have to take up...you would need a Crane
to move it all...gee you don't think about stuff like that when someone
waves all that money in your face.....It also makes all those James Bond
movies where they are supposedly handling all that money quite
unrealistic...a briefcase full of $100's really isn't going to hold that
much. : )

What does a Million Dollars weigh?

According to 419 letters, the security vaults of dozens of African storage
facilities are jammed with boxes packed with millions of U.S. Dollars.  The
average amount stated is around $25,000,000.

Assuming that the Dollars have all been changed into $100 bills,
$25,000,000. equals 250,000 - $100 bills.

A pound of U.S. currency notes, regardless of the denomination, contains 454
bills (Avoir du Poids system.  Troy system is 375 bills/lb.*).  That runs to
a little over 550 pounds of money.  Provided we're speaking of $100 bills,
which are not that handy in 3rd world countries.  The standard denomination
is $20  bills.

Using the above calculation for $20 bills, we would be looking at 1,250,000
pieces of currency at close to 2,800 lbs., or over 1-½ tons of money.

American currency is 2.61 inches wide x 6.14 inches long x .0043 inches
thick*.  A standard box is 12x12x16.  Packed in the most efficient manner
possible, one would need at least  330 boxes to house $25,000,000.

The next time you receive a 419 letter asking for help in retrieving vaulted
currency, you will know what questions to ask.

This is from a pretty cool website...I thought that my collection of going
on 200 scam letters was impressive but I am humbled by this womans site...
She maintains what she calls a 419 database..
http://www.fraudaid.com/ScamSpeak/Nigerian/419A.htm

Guess I am going to have to collect something else if I want to get into the
Guiness book of world records.

Later,
JK