[THIN] Re: OT: Software RAID question

  • From: "Andrew Rogers" <Andrew.Rogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:04:12 +0000

I dont KNOW for certain, but heres what I'd believe (if i was crazy enough to
do software RAID :) )

making two volumes, one for each card would be faster, as i reckon the IDE bus
would become a bottleneck, jamming data down it for both cards at the same
time. remember the whole bus master idea, where a card can take over the bus
for a short period of time to get more info down it..

However, having said that, if the IDE bus doesnt become a bottleneck, and its
the software/cpu limiting it, then the single volume could in theory be faster,
as theres more drives working together, providing a higher throughput..

the decision all comes down to how well you know/trust your hardware ;)
Personally, I think I'd likely go with the former *big shrug*

Andrew
--o--

>>> Stansel_Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 20/01/04 14:31:06 >>>
This one is pretty OT I admit :).  I've got a Win2K server at home that I am
looking to do software RAID5 with.  I have 2 PCI IDE controller cards which
lets me have a total of 8 IDE drives, 4 on each.  Would it be better to do 2
RAID5 volumes, one for each controller, or can I span the RAID across
multiple controllers and not kill performance (any more than it already is
simply because it's software RAID).

Just hoping someone knows!

Thanks,
Paul

LEGAL NOTICE
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this E-mail by
anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or
copying of the contents of this E-mail or any action taken (or not taken) in
reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not an
addressee, please inform the sender immediately.
This Week's Sponsor - Emergent Online 99Point9.com
EOL THINssentials* Bring You TRUE Universal Printing Solutions
and Time Zone Support. EOL delivers any print job, any
time zone, to any client, over Any protocol (ICA or RDP)!
http://www.99point9.com/public/products/index.asp