[THIN] Re: OT: Server Overkill?

  • From: "Chris Lynch" <lynch00@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:38:19 -0700

Well, you could.  It all depends on how much data you anticipate will
exist on the FP server.  I would go with the server you laid out, get
small 18GB drives (three of them in a RAID 1 array with online
hotspare), then have an external RACK storage connected to another
RAID card.  That should have lots of drives in it (you can get a
fully populated PowerVault 220S with 36GB drives for about $5K or
so).  That should contain all of the user data, and I don't expect
you would run out of space for 250 users.  Of course, this does get
expensive, so I would tailor what I suggested to your needs.

The FP server could be a 1650 or 2650 (depending on the horsepower
you need), and your DC should be a 1650.  You don't need much.

Also, I would try to get GB NIC's in them, if at all possible.  That
would help in file transfers from your server to your clients.

CHRIS LYNCH -  MCSE, CCNA, CCA
NETWORK ENGINEER - INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
NRT Incorporated, 27271 Las Ramblas, Mission Viejo, CA 92691
Chris.lynch@xxxxxxxxxx  Tel 949.367.3406