[THIN] Re: OT: Scheduled demise of HP NetServers

  • From: Steve Snyder <steven_snyder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:14:20 -0700 (PDT)

You? Naaah... well, maybe. :-)

But seriously, you seem to enjoy the good-humored
jousting as much as I, and your exquisite musical
taste belies your keen intellect, which only serves to
make your fascination with quirky overpriced computer
equipment all the more perplexing. (BTW, tickets for
Rush are on sale for all cities, except Portland
<groan> http://www.rush.com/tourdates.html )

But my bias for HP equipment comes from my experience
with it and all other equipment, nothing else.
Personally, I despise HP. They built a large plant 10
miles from my hometown, causing massive growth in the
population and cost of housing, ruining the town. And
call me sexist if you like, but I dumped all of my HP
stock when they hired Carly (which saved me a lot of
money).

But over the years working for various companies, I've
installed HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway, Unisys, IBM, ALR,
Acer (yep, they make servers, albeit very cheap), etc.
Intel-based servers. And I have consistently found the
HP equipment to be easier to setup, work on and
service, more reliable, better supported and at a more
reasonable price-point than anything else. Whereas
I've found the Compaq stuff breaks more often, they
take longer to deliver parts (1 week average for tape
drives, for example), and they have bizarre nuances:
you can't hang scsi devices on the internal and
external scsi controller simultaneously; you can't use
a tape library on the external controller; God help
you if you apply an NT4 SP and forgot not to overwrite
the OEM HAL; they won't post when connected to a KVM
when they're not selected; etc. The HAL issue is
really annoying becasue there's no reason for having a
hardware specific HAL for a simple Intel based
platform - I can forgive Unisys for doing it, but
there's no reason why any standard OEM needs to. And
then there's the minor annoying issue that as a
reseller, I have to pay them for the privilege of
selling their stuff, and I have to pay for their
training and then pay them more money for the honor of
fixing it. But lots of resellers like to sell Compaq
for no other reason than its higher markup.

I also like the Dell stuff and you certainly can't
beat the value that they provide, but they have no
partner channel and no enterprise management
capability, so I make no money from it's sale or
service. Still, I have steered many a client to buy
Dell servers, and almost always their PCs, because I
have my clients buy what's best for them, not me.

Of course, I don't love everything about HP servers -
like those crappy bezels, and I'll certainly agree
that some of their boxes just plain suck - the entire
E-series for example. But the old LH4s and LH6000s and
LXr8500s just plain kick butt.

Probably the most disappointing thing about the
HP/Compaq merger is that they're still not going to
produce even 1 single decent PC.

But as long as the local 7-11 doesn't run out of Dew
Slurpees, I'll be happy! :)

Oh heck, I should make this post somewhat pertinent to
Thin: TSE is not supported on the HP E60. How's that?

- peace

--- Jeff Rapp <JeffR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Gee Steve, could you be talking about me?
>
> You know many people still love things that are bad
> for them, smoking,
> gambling, excessive drinking, HP Servers, etc. So I
> don't hold your comments
> against you. I know that one day you'll stop and say
> "How could I have been
> so blind for all these years, these Compaqs are the
> best!"
>
> And when you do I will welcome you with open arms
> ;-)
>
> Jeff

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

This Weeks Sponsor
New Moon Canaveral iQ
New Moon makes central deployment and
management of server-based applications simple!
Now intelligent Printing with UniDriver!
See a demo at: http://www.newmoon.com/products/demo/