[THIN] Re: OT: SQL 2000 on Win2K3 Server, /PAE /3GB again

  • From: "Brian Madden" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:45:23 -0400

You do not need PAE.

By default, the 4GB of RAM is split 50/50 between the kernel and your
applications (i.e. SQL). You would probably be well served to use /3GB,
because that will give you 3GB for the apps (SQL) and leave only 1GB for
the kernel. If this is a dedicated SQL server, 1GB should be plenty for
the SQL server.

(If this is also, for example, a busy file server or DC, I probably
wouldn't mess with /3GB and leave the memory split 50/50.

Brian

Brian Madden
brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+1.202.302.3657
Visit www.brianmadden.com for in-depth Citrix, Terminal Server, and
server-based computing news and analysis, white papers, downloadable
videos, and product reviews.