[THIN] OT -Robocopy help needed

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:20:26 -0700

All,

I need a little help with Robocopy.  I need to copy a whole drive to a new
storage unit.  I typically use Robocopy because it gets everything and
preserves permissions.  In this case, I have a few directories that I need
to exclude due to my access rights.  I have list permissions, but not read.
This causes Robocopy to pause and retry.  I've set the /W and /R paremeters
to one each, but the extra time it takes to go through this on these
directories literally adds a few hours to my copy process.  This will put
me beyond my downtime window on the cutover date.

I've tried using the /XD parameter without much luck.  The intial screen
that robocopy puts out looks like this:

C:\temp>robocopy l: m: /XD l:\maindir\dir1 /XD "l:\maindir\dir2\dir 3" /SEC
/MIR /R:1 /W:1

   ROBOCOPY     ::     Robust File Copy for Windows     ::     Version
XP010

  Started : Mon Oct 16 13:14:17 2006

   Source : l:\
     Dest : m:\

    Files : *.*

 Exc Dirs : l:\maindir\dir1
            l:\maindir\dir2\dir 3

  Options : *.* /S /E /COPY:DATS /PURGE /MIR /R:1 /W:1

Yes, there is a space between "dir" and "3".  That's why I put it in
quotes.

The problem I am having is the I don't seem to getting any of the other
directories outside of "maindir".  The exclude seems to be working, but now
I am skipping anything else off the root (and their subdirs).  If I remove
the /XD parameters. I get the entire drive, but at the much longer time
interval due to access restrictions.

Any ideas?

adam

ps-directory names have been changed in the above output to protect the
innocent.

adam