[THIN] OT: Revisiting Visio Problem

  • From: "David Demers" <david.demers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:46:32 -0600

A while back I had a problem with Printing in Visio as a published app. One of
you guys mentioned that you hadn't seen problems like that since upgrading to
FR3. I did the upgrade, and it fixed us right up... for a while. Now, the
problem is back and I am very confused.

Let me go over the highlights:

Windows 2000 SP3, AD Domain, Clients are all Win2000 pc's or thin clients,
MetaFrame XPe FR3/SP3.

When a user attempts to print from Visio 2002 Standard (Published application
from a special app server) the app appears to print properly. It has a progress
bar that pops up, goes from 0% to 100%, and then disappears without error.
However the print job never gets sent. There is no error or reference to the
print job in the event log on the app server, and there is no error or
reference to the print job on the print server's event log.

However, when connecting to the application as a Domain Admin, everything works
perfectly. The job submits without error, the print server logs printing the
document, and the document actually prints. This points to a relatively direct
permissions problem, right? That's what I thought too, but adding the user to
the local Admin group does not correct the issue.

So my questions are:

1) Is anyone out there successfully deploying Visio 2002 Standard as a
published application?

2) Has anyone come across this issue, or a similar one involving this product?

3) Am I losing my mind or does this make no sense to anyone else?

4) Anyone else have ideas for ways I can troubleshoot this further, as I've run
out of ideas.

This Week's Sponsor - Emergent Online
Essential Thin Client Utilities.
Meet Jim Kenzig of thethin.net at the Emergent Online
Booth #24 at Citrix iForum on October 13th.
http://www.go-eol.com