[THIN] OT: Replacing a DC with a new machine

  • From: "Evan Mann" <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:44:51 -0400

I have to setup a temporary server at one office and it needs to be a
domain controller.  In a few weeks I'll have a permanent machine to
replace this temporary with.  I have some programs that map folders via
UNC paths and it's easier from that standpoint to keep the temporary
server name the same as the permanent one.

However, I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it from a DC
standpoint . I've yet to need to replace an existing AD DC with a new
machine, so I'm not familiar with the process.

Would it be as basic as demoting the temporary server, deleting it from
AD Users/Computers and then putting in my new machine in place and
running dcpromo on it?