[THIN] Re: OT Remote control PCs behind NAT firewall

  • From: "Evan Mann" <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:26:54 -0500

VNC will require firewall configuration to pass the proper port through,
unless you set it to use port 80 inbound.  I think that would work.

If you want something to use that requires no firewall config then the
big name is GoToMyPC for smal volume or GoToAssist for enterprise.  Both
are from Citrix Online.

With GoToAssist, the general setup is the endser goes to a webpage and
requests help from the tech.  It downloads a component, and you take
control. GoToMyPC is the same premise but you as the tech would go to a
website and click into someones computer.

If your going to use it for more then a handful of machines, GoToAssist
is what you'll probably have to use.  It's NOT cheap however, but it's
probably the best tool for this type of support. Even though I support
99% of my users via Remote Administrator or RDP, we still pay go
GoToAssist for those users when RAdmin/RDP is not a viable options.

There are other shareware type products that either work through port 80
or in a GoToAssist type fashion but using actual software clients
instead of a web interface, but still transmit data over port 80.  I've
not used any of those however.