[THIN] Re: OT - Rebuild Citrix on second set of drives w/o destroying old

  • From: "Mark CALLEJA" <Mark.CALLEJA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 10:42:21 +0800

JD

I think you have to press F1 not F2 to continue.  If you press F2 it will fail
the drives and it becomes a pain to setup a new HDD (have to use the array
utils etc).  Were as you should be able to just plug another drive in the empty
slot on the new machine and the mirror will automatically kick in.

Regards
Mk

Mark Calleja
A/ Manager ICT Security and Risk Management
Contract and Risk Management
Dept Housing and Works
(08) 9222 4941
mark.calleja@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary,
and those who don't"

>>> techlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 07/07/2005 10:08:48 am >>>
I haven't done this on Dells, but I have on HP's. The way it works on the
HP's is this:

1. Pull either drive from the source server while it's on (let's say drive
0, on the right).
2. Insert another drive in the slot you just opened. The RAID controller
will detect the new drive and begin to rebuild it. After 5 or 10 minutes,
your source server is back in its original state, and you have a drive to
use on your target.
3. Pull both drives out of the target server. Insert your source drive in
the same slot that you removed it from in your source server (the right
one).
4. Make sure the target machine is disconnected from the network (since it
will be an exact duplicate of the source machine). Turn on the target
machine. The RAID controller will warn you that you've only got one drive.
On the HP's, you press F2(?) to fail the missing drive.
5. The machine will boot normally, although you might have service failures
from not being connected to the network.
6. Insert another drive in the open slot. The RAID hardware will start
mirroring to this drive.
7. Do your post-clone configuration (set IP address, join domain, delete RM
local database if it's a Citrix server, change SID, etc.)

  On the HP's the mirroring is fast, so this can be an easy way to clone a
few servers. I started to do it last week on a couple of Dells, but the the
mirror took 2 hours, so I used Ghost.

JD