[THIN] OT - Rebuild Citrix on second set of drives w/o destroying old

  • From: "Ron Jameson" <rjameson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:52:39 -0500

I have a somewhat OT topic - we have a clients Dell PE6650 Terminal 2003
Server with RAID 1 on OS & Apps (C & D Drive partitioned) and E holding
misc data/swap/spool/temp etc.  We want to rebuild this with Citrix on
the front end for published desktops to add to the 3 server silo'd farm.
In the end, all will be citrix instead of a TS login box & citrix farm.

I was hoping to be able to build the citrix on this server by pulling
the drives out and putting in a pair of new drives Raid1.  Then, when my
allotted time is out (to let people work again), put the original drives
back in and they can get back to work.  I will continue to do this pull
drives in & out until testing is done and finally released to production
people.  My problem I just thought of in the near last hour is that I
think the Dell Raid bios config will not just let me pull drives in &
out easily w/o config changes or reinit (thus losing data).   I would
much rather just get a new server and start anytime I want but budget
does not permit.

Or, is my only chance at this working by ghosting or backup my existing,
rebuild and continue to backup/restore?  Ouch.

Hope someone has some advise or knowledge first hand on if this method
works by just pulling drives in & out.

Ron Jameson
Hamlin Technologies