[THIN] OT: Really slow throughput with CA Brightstor ARCserve 9.01

  • From: "Chris Lynch" <lynch00@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:51:15 -0700

What do you guys use to backup your cluster?  ARCserve, or BackupExec, or
something else?  What hardware are you using?  What kinds of throughput are
you seeing on you backups for the cluster?

Basically, I have a throughput issue with ARCserve 9.01.  While this is not
my choice for backups, I need to resolve this issue.  We have about 63GB of
data to backup, and we are seeing about 110MB/minute.  Now, you need to know
something about the setup here.

Backup Engine Server (1DC)
-------------------------
Dell PowerEdge 2650
Dual PIII-2.0GHz MP XEON
4GB of RAM
Broadcom GB NIC running at 1000MB/s with Full Duplex
Windows 2000 Advanced Server with SP3
PERC3/di - RAID1/RAID5 (OS/Data)

Cluster Server (cluster name:  1POCDATA; Cluster Nodes:  1POCFPA & 1POCFPB)
-----------------------------
(2) Dell PowerEdge 2650
Dual PIII 3.06GHz MP XEON (533MHz FSB)
4GB of RAM (DDR)
Broadcom GB NIC running at 1000MB/s with Full Duplex
PERC3 and PERC4 - RAID1/RAID1/RAID5 (OS/Quorum/Data)

Now, 1DC has the PERC3/di (which is the Ultra160 Controller with Ultra160
10K RPM drives)  The cluster nodes have Ultra160 drives onboard, but the
shared storage drives are Ultra320 on the PowerVault 220s (which is then
connected to the PERC4 RAID card, Ultra320 performance).

I contacted Dell to make sure nothing was wrong with the hardware, and we
found nothing.  We tested copying 5.5GB of data from 1DC to the cluster
share.  That took about 11.5 minutes.  Then, copied the same data back from
the cluster to 1DC.  That took under 9 minutes.

CA gave me the following reg keys to add to the cluster nodes:

HKLM\software\computerassociates\BrightStor\client agent\parameters
 1. change the decimal value for Maxsendpacketsize to 8192
 2. change the decimal value for RecDaemonbuffercount to 800
 3. change the decimal value for Receivetimeout to 4800
 4. change the decimal value for sendtimeout to 4800
 5. change the decimal value for setwsrecdbuffersize to 64
 6. change the decimal value for setwssendbuffersize to 64
 7. change the decimal value for setwstcpnodelay to 8

On the client agent admin window, select configuration and set the backup
priority to high.

I did this, but this has made the throughput worse.

Man, I wish I had Veritas here.  Oh well.

Thanks for any input you could offer.

Chris

This Week's Sponsor - NetX Inc.
NOT all of your data resides at the server, can you backup and restore every PC
in your company including remote systems ? FlexSafe protects your
organization's data with client backup and recovery. Snapshots take just a few
minutes, even for notebook users who connect through a dial-up modem.
http://www.netxinc.com/product_flexsafe.asp