[THIN] Re: OT: PC hard disk recovery tools

  • From: "Keith Sirmons" <KSirmons@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 07:43:29 -0600

I haven't used R-Undelete before, but R-Studio from the same company has
save my users butts before.

I was even able to hook up all the drives of a failed RAID to my
recovery system's SCSI card and recover data.

So far for me, if the BIOS can see the drive, then R-Studio can recover
some data.

Keith

Keith Sirmons
Microcomputer/LAN Administrator
College of Veterinary Medicine

>>> tdiroff@xxxxxxxxx 2/28/2006 6:51:07 AM >>>

HI

I agree, Spinrite is very good. I have also had very good luck with
tools from www.r-undelete.com where the problem may be more file system

related.

Good Luck

Tom Diroff

Rick Mack wrote:

>Hi Joanne,
>
>It'd be hard to go past Steve Gibson's SpinRite 6.0 for pure brute
sophistication.

>It'll have a good go at recovering data from just about anything.
>
>Check out:
>
>http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
<http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm>

>regards,
>
>Rick
>
>Ulrich Mack
>Volante Systems
>

>________________________________

scene. Do you guys have any favorite third party disk management tools
or utilities for desktops that have saved your butt?

>I feel we shouldn't have to recover data, because users should be
saving to the network. And why try to save a power surged dirty messed
up disk? But hey, the boss is a spending mood and the level 1 techs may
benefit.

> I use chkdsk to repair or if that doesn't work can I usually get data
off the bad drive by plunking in a boot drive. I've used File Scavenger
with great results. But that's about it. I don't believe in magic, or
putting the disk in the freezer etc...

>Thanks,Joanne

>This e-mail, including all attachments, may be confidential or
privileged.  Confidentiality or privilege is not waived or lost because
this e-mail has been sent to you in error.  If you are not the intended
recipient any use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail is prohibited.
If you have received it in error please notify the sender immediately by
reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this e-mail and any attachments.
All liability for direct and indirect loss arising from this e-mail and
any attachments is hereby disclaimed to the extent permitted by law.