[THIN] Re: OT: OT: What's the biggest problem you deal with?

  • From: "Bernd Harzog" <Bernd.Harzog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:07:35 -0500

Joe,

I wish we could solve all of the problems created by "bad" and "sloppy"
programming practices in the Microsoft applications enviroment. As much as I
appreciate your assumption that we can, the fundamental facts are:

1) Microsoft is in a race with the Java folks to make developers more
productive, and to allow them to get their applications into production more
quickly than would be possible if you built them in a non-Microsoft way.

2) Developers (no matter what platform or middleware they are writing to) are
under unrelenting pressure from their business staff to get the next feature
set into the software.

1 and 2 above combine to create a situation where software is written with the
objective of getting the desired functionality into the hands of the user as
fast as possible, because this is what pays the bills for either the business
folks in the IS shop or the product managers at the software vendors. The net
result of this is that operational efficiency and reliabilty take a second seat
to the addition of features. We at RTO exist for the sole purpose of allowing
you to have your cake and eat it to - which means that developers can add
features quickly and RTO takes care of making it run well in your environment.

So, the bottom line is that you can count on us to do what we can to push the
balance of the scales back towards a compromise between functionality and
performance/stability. It is unrealistic to expect us to solve all of the
problems that the pressure to have a fast time to market create.

Best Regards,

Bernd Harzog
CEO
RTO Software