[THIN] Re: OT: OT: What's the biggest problem you deal with?

  • From: "Matt Kosht" <matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:39:51 -0500

We have 4 different farms (W2K MFXP) all rebooted nightly in a staggered
fashion.  I tell our customers who balk at nightly reboots this line of
logic.  Do you let your desktop Windows PC run without reboot for days
on end?  Now imagine the same PC being used by 30-40 people a day would
you still not reboot frequently?  This usually convinces them as
everyone has had a Windows desktop go south on them (Yes even W2K or
XP).

I know where people are coming from when they ask this though. They
feel the reboot simply masks underlying stability problems. I used to
reboot only 1/week but the lowest common denominator is the crappiest
application on the box.  There is a lot of crap out there these days.

It just doesn't make sense with the poorly written apps and weekly
security patches that impact a terminal server these days not to clean
it up with a reboot after hours nightly.

>>> Andrew.Rogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 2/16/2004 4:38:36 AM >>>
2 nt4 servers here, MF1.8, we reboot nightly! :o

tends to solve more problems and keep things smooth i find :)

Andrew
--o--

>>> ssun@xxxxxxxx 13/02/04 19:44:46 >>>

On a side note, I was wondering how many of you have a reboot schedule
enable on your Metaframe farm.  What OS and the how often you reboot.
IF
you stagger the reboots in different parts of the farm, etc.

I've a client who absolutely refuses to schedule reboots on the farm,
They
have Windows 2000 farm and firmly believe that Windows 2000 does NOT
require
reboots.  I believe that part of the problem is that they do not want
unattended reboots, as they are afraid servers will not come back up.
Seems
kinda funky to me, but I wanted to get a feel for what the rest of the
communicty is doing.

Thanks

Spencer