[THIN] Re: OT: Need to chat with someone who is an appsense expert.

  • From: "Malcolm Bruton" <malcolm.bruton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:41:34 -0400

Not tried it with machines in two domains.  Like you I would have
thought that it would work but....I Suspect this might be the issue.

Once you have the deployment server installed you just start up the
Deployment Manager.   Create a new deployment group and add a machine.
It should then install the Deployment agent onto your selected machine.
I'm not sure what credentials it would use to install the deployment
agent (system or your own) which is where it may not work across the
domains.

You can manually install the deployment agent on your target machine.
Find the deployment.msi somewhere on the deployment server and run the
following cmd on your target machine

Deployment.msi  DEPLOYMENT_SERVER=%servername%
DEPLOYMENT_SERVER_PORT=60000 DEPLOYMENT_AGENT_PORT=60001 /Q

Swap %servername% for your deployment server name....

Also double check the ports.  I'm using 2.x or something. They did
change the ports a long time ago in an earlier version so I would hope
they haven't done it again....Lastly after doing this you will still
have to add the server to your deployment group.  In theory your server
can now talk to the deployment server.

Then you can begin configuring etc and pushing configs down to the
servers.

You can manually push configs without using the deployment server if you
like but obviously you lose the centralised management features.  The
configs are just MSI's which can be pushed around using AD and the like.

Hope this helps.

Malcolm