[THIN] Re: OT: Linux! Was Re: Free tools?

  • From: beers@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:53:43 +0200 (CEST)

Debian (for me) is the right mix between slack and redhat. Meaning it can,
and will install complete GUI (KDE or Gnome) and it also supports free
updates through community. Apt-get, dselect, aptitude, Kpackadge, and my
favorite Synaptic, all work. Excellent network install over the internet
f.e. Fedora might also do that though. So I am curious about Fedora.

It is somewhat developer/server centric, especially the "stable" distro,
which indeed is rock solid, but with older software. Debian "testing" is
actually quite stable too, with modern software, an is a better option for
office workers. I prefer "testing" on my desktop. "Stable" for my samba en
rsync servers.

I avoid Mandrake, SUSE, and RedHat nowaydays unless they are needed for
Oracle, Progress, and there is need for a support license.

Richard

> I've used various distributions, but never actually Debian.. the only
> thing=
>  I know about it is that it has that great apt-get tool :)
>
> Does Debian lean more towards Slackware, or more RedHat way? (As in, does
> i=
> t leave you with a shell prompt, or does it go the whole hog and set up
> eve=
> rything all the way to KDE for you? :) )
>
> Andrew
> --o--

> Im quickly liking it much for diskbased backup. That, and Debian -kuch-
>
> A quick off topic for Neil: As Fedora is about the only distro I havent
> used, why do you prefer it over Debian?

Starting at $199!
http://www.neoware.com