[THIN] Re: OT: LDAP

  • From: "Paul DeHaan" <wppad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:30:54 -0400

By default you can connect to any AD controller via an LDAP client
without any additional configuration on the AD box.  I'm not much of an
exchange guru, but it sounds like you would probably have to write a
script to export the AD information in to a format that can be imported
into outlook.  Here's a page that tells you the CSV format that OE
requires...http://www.mindspring.com/~oe_oh/importing_address_books.htm.

I would test this csv import manually before attempting a script to
figure out if the results will be as expected.  First I'd open notepad
and create 3-4 test users in the csv format.  Then try importing it.  If
the results are as you expected, then you simply need to extract the
name, email, etc. info from AD.  This is simple using ADSI.

After doing this manual test above, let me know if you would like me to
post a sample script.

Regards,

Paul DeHaan CCNA, CCA...
Network Administrator
J.M. Huber Corp.

------------>
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary,
and/or
privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or
other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you
received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from
all
computers."

>>> thethin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 07/28/03 08:36AM >>>
Are there any How To's  -  is there anything I need to do on the AD
server?

Sorry for asking to many questions - I think I am making this harder
than
it is, but I just can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks
Dave

At 07:55 PM 7/21/2003, you wrote:

>Within Outlook, you will need to specify a new address book, but
specify
>LDAP as the directory.  Go through the wizard, and that's it.
>
>Chris

Behalf
>Of Dave
>Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 4:46 PM
>To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [THIN] Re: OT: LDAP
>
>How do I configure Outlook 2000 to see the AD user info? ie. I have
all of
>my Domain users in AD and have entered their email addresses in the AD
user
>info.
>
>The Linux server user accounts (sendmail) are configured separately.
>
>I have Outlook configured correctly to email through the sendmail
server
>(SMTP and POP3)
>
>What do I need to configure so that a
>user can compose a new message, click on "To:" and select from the
list of
>users that are pulled from AD.
>
>I am assuming it is a "mail service" (or LDAP browser) that needs to
be
>added to see the info, but not sure what or how?
>
>I hope this helps.
>
>Dave
>

>At 09:17 AM 7/21/2003, you wrote:
> >When you say: Outlook 2000 to see AD user info, can you elaborate?
> >
> >Outlook 2000 can access AD user information just fine, normally -
but
> >you may have to do some work to point it at an alien SMTP mail
server
> >(in this case your sendmail server running on Unix), but still
access
> >contact info from AD.
> >
> >I thought what you were saying was that you could not get Unix (via
> >LDAP) to access user information in AD.
> >
> >Neil

organisation.

> >Statements and opinions contained in this email may not necessarily
> >represent those of Littlewoods. Please note that email
communications