[THIN] Re: OT: Keeping Active Directory up to date from SQL

  • From: Evan Mann <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 12:07:58 -0500

I don't, but I know lots of people have to customize this type of stuff.
Why?  Because every environment is truly unique when it comes to this
type of stuff.

I have a custom HR DB that is held in SQL, which holds basic demographic
info, but we do not do any automation for it.  If we did, it would be
100% customized.  No company knows how our internal staff had created
the HR DB.  If you're using an off-the-shelf HR product that has a SQL
DB you can query, it may be a different story.

This isn't really what you are asking for, but you may want to check out
rDirectory as well.  It's a pretty cool product,
http://www.namescape.com/

We looked at it as a possible solution to the same type of issue.  It's
an alternate approach which relies on AD to store everything, and
provides fully customizable interfaces with full restrictions, so you
can do something such as allow an HR person to update the info in AD,
via rDirectory, and not have to worry about seting up security inside
AD.