[THIN] OT: For those of you who are iTunes Fans

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:26:27 -0500

Saw this on cnn.com and thought some of you may find if interesting.
Enjoy!

Greg

From Cnn.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/02/19/pepsi.itunes.promotion/index
.html

Site posts low-tech hack for iTunes giveaway

By Paulo Nogueira
CNN

(CNN) --Sharp eyes and a bit of patience paid off Thursday for iTunes
fans who figured out a way to "hack" the popular music download
service's Pepsi promotion.

Jon Gales, who runs Macintosh-user site MacMerc.com, posted instructions
this week on how to look into sealed Pepsi bottles and figure out which
ones carry winning iTunes codes in their caps.

"With luck, you should be able to see under the cap," said Gales, 19, a
college student who discovered the trick by chance. "It takes a few
minutes to get used to the angle... and you may have to twist the
bottle."

Apple Computer's iTunes service is giving away 100 million songs, a
promotion that was launched with splashy Super Bowl TV ads featuring
people sued for illegally sharing music online. One in three bottles is
a winner, according to the rules. And the 10-digit code on a winning cap
can be used to download a free song on iTunes.com.

But when Gales discovered that by tilting the bottles he could beat the
system, he was eager to share the trick. News of his Web site's
illustrations and step-by-step instructions spread quickly on the
Internet, which prompted his domain to crash briefly from the onslaught
of visitors.

"I was surprised the kind of traffic and the responses that it got,"
Gales said Thursday from his home in Tampa, Florida. "We were getting 30
hits a second and the database couldn't keep up."

It takes a bit of squinting and some persistence, but Gales' suggestions
work. Those who see the word "again" after tilting the bottle have a
losing cap. But random letters and numbers means you have a winner.

Pepsi-Cola spokesman Dave DeCecco said he wasn't aware of the trick
until a reporter called him.

"We always put redemption limits for promotions like these," he said.
"But we've found that most consumers play by the rules."

Apple's iTunes store, the most popular online music retailer, offers
more than 500,000 songs for 99 cents each. Pepsi promotion winners can
claim up to 10 songs per day and 200 tunes total during the giveaway,
which ends March 31. But "you can sign up for another account," Gales
said.

This weeks sponsor Vizioncore, Inc.
--> vc-iMonitor - Performance Monitoring, Control & Reporting
--> vc-iControl - Desktop & Start Menu Management & Reporting
--> vc-iMapper - Drive, Printer & COM Management & Reporting
http://vizioncore.com/products.html