[THIN] Re: OT: Exchange upgrade

  • From: "Evan Mann" <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 15:07:45 -0400

I'll just throw my vote in for front-end/back-end topology.  You can run
OWA, RPC over HTTP, SMTP, POP3, and IMAP4 on that server (and a few
other things) and have that machine in your DMZ, with no mailboxes on
it.  It handles all the CPU related to that, where you back-end needs to
do nothing but host mailboxes and get mail delivered to/from the
front-end.

If you have most of your people internal using mail on MAPI connections,
you can reboot the front end without them having any clue.  If you have
an SMTP transport issue on a single box and need to reboot, it causes
Outlook to lock up for all your MAPI connected users, which generates
help desk calls.

Lastly, many of the security fixes I've seen relate to items you could
isolate to a front end, which means you can more freely apply and reboot
that box then you would with one running mailbox stores.