[THIN] OT: Exchange upgrade

  • From: "Matthew Shrewsbury" <MShrewsbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:24:54 -0400

I'm considering my exchange upgrade options. I currently running
Exchange 2000 (I own Exchange 2003 Standard). I am expecting to hit my
16GB limit in 1st quarter next year so I am trying to plan an upgrade to
deal with that. The current server is a little old and needs upgrading
ideally too. My users are currently less then 90 but expect to double by
next year.

1) Exchange cluster

            Ideally I'd like a lot more redundancy in Exchange as it is
so mission critical. So a cluster might be justifiable.

            I can only cluster Exchange 2003 Enterprise?

            IMF won't work on a cluster so that is a disadvantage

2) Add a second Exchange server and move some mail boxes to the new
server (keep each database below 16GB)

             Can you add a second Exchange 2003 Standard edition in the
same site and use one as a bridgehead for all incoming emails?

3) Upgrade to a single server with Exchange 2003 Enterprise

Any suggestions or answers to my Exchange questions would be most
helpful. Thanks!!

Senior Network Administrator