[THIN] Re: OT: Exchange server migration

  • From: Steve Snyder <steven_snyder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:43:09 -0700 (PDT)

Are you creating a new AD, or do you already have one?
Will/Is the AD (be) an upgrade of your existing NT4
domain, a migrated domain, or a brand new domain? Do
you want the new exchange server to have the same
netbios name as the old server?

Since you're moving to new hardware, then the upgrade
will actually be a migration. How your AD is/was setup
will dictate your migration path and what caveats that
you'll have to deal with.

If your AD is/will be an upgrade of your NT4 domain,
then the exchange migration will be relatively
painless. How long it'll take is highly dependent on
your server's and network speed, and how large your
stores are - lots of users with 2GB mailboxes can take
a while. To be safe, plan on a long weekend.

> Sorry for the off topic, but I need to compile some
> info to present to our management. I have an
> exchange 5.5 server running on nt 4.0 server. I want
> to upgarde and migrate to Exchange 200x on a win2k
> server. I have about 70 mailboxes and some public
> folder use. The upgrade would also include all new
> hardware and software, etc.
> Can anyone give a rough estimate on how long this
> should take.

http://sbc.yahoo.com
This weeks sponsor - RTOSoft TScale
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=130