[THIN] Re: OT: Exchange question

  • From: "Claudio Rodrigues" <crodrigues@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:43:41 -0500

Exactly. What is probably happening is you are getting spammed on =
addresses that do not exist on your site (like =
bob_the_man@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx). Exchange by default will return an NDR and =
if you are getting emails to these users that do not exist from tons of =
different domains, you will see TONS of queues with many messages on it.
Also the Badmail directory will start increasing like nuts. Make sure =
you empty it.
To avoid all these issues you have a couple ways:
1. Use a spam filter (many 3rd party available) but this usually means =
an extra machine that will receive the emails, filter and send to the =
Exchange box.
2. Use the smarthost trick as pointed by Ron. Works BUT you will need to =
do this probably every single day if the volume you are getting is high, =
what is a pain in the arse.
3. Disable NDRs at the Exchange. I know it breaks the RFC and bla bla =
bla but it is for sure the most effective way. :-)

Hope this helps,

Cl=E1udio Rodrigues

Microsoft MVP
Windows Technologies - Terminal Server