[THIN] Re: OT: Exchange fallover

  • From: Philip Walley <mythinlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:29:56 -0600

double-take, that's what i was trying to think of.

Evan Mann wrote:

I don't know the technical details behind it, bout NSI's Software Double-Take does bit-by-bit replication of your stores to a stand by server. NSI then has a customized .EXE that created to handle the actual failover of Exchange. Since I paid for their software, and they give me the tool, I didn't go looking into "how" the failover work.

Originally, you had to do some crazy stuff by manually "breaking" your production server, and manually restoring off the backup one and then back to the original.. all as part of the setup. Then NSI modified their failover program so pretty much all of that was unnecessary. You just needed another server in the same exchange org, and the EXE handled the rest.
This is the most simplistic way of doing it. There's another product from XOSoft that is similar, and better according to some people. These methods require dedicated hardware to sit idle, so you have to buy resources that you may never use.