[THIN] Re: OT: Exchange Server Spamming

  • From: "Jeff Durbin" <techlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:23:49 +1300

  I knew about reverse NDR and thought that would be the case, but when I
switched off NDR's, it still happened. I'm wondering if there wasn't some
backlog that happened on the Exchange server to fill the queue back up once
I had emptied it, thereby leading me to conclude that the problem was
emanating from the Exchange server itself. What I had done was:

- disconnect from the network
- stop Exchange IMC
- rename the IMCDATA folder to IMCDATA.OLD
- start the Exchange IMC

  I downloaded 3 post-SP4 Exchange 5.5 patches and installed them. That
seemed to actually slow it down to maybe one message every few seconds in
the queue, but that could have been coincidence.
  I downloaded CMS's Praetor eval version, installed it on my laptop, and
routed all mail through my laptop. This software protects you from reverse
NDR by allowing you to specify a list of valid recipients. Once it was in
place, the outbound SMTP queue stopped filling with spam. In looking at the
log, though, it wasn't stopping reverse NDR, but relay off the server. I
know for a fact the relay is closed (there is NO relay, even for
authenticated users, etc.), and as far as I can tell, Exchange is fully
patched, so I don't really know what to make of it.

JD