[THIN] Re: OT: Exchange Server Spamming

  • From: Henry Sieff <hsieff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:19:18 -0600

Well, the issue has nothing to do with exchange 5.5 for otherwise, or any
malicious program generating the mail. The same technique can be used
against ANY mail server.

Here's what happens.

1. Spammer sends mail with a From:/Reply To: set to the name of the target
user (the user he is actually trying to spam). The To: is any user name
(random or otherwise; remember, you don't your To: to actually exist,
really) at the domain of the mail server you are abusing. eg. You want to
spam joe@xxxxxxxx, so you send mail From:joe@xxxxxxxx To: anyuser@xxxxxxxx
(you can either do this directly by setting mailserver.tool.org as your smtp
mail server, or just send the mail using your own mail server, or whatever.

2. mailserver.tool.org sees that anyuser@xxxxxxxx doesn't exist. It sends an
NDR to joe@xxxxxxxxx The NDR has the original text as attachment.

Disabling relaying is ineffective, because this is not considered relaying
according to standards; the To: is not in a different domain from the mail
server. From the perspective of SMTP, the whole conversation is identical to
a legitimate mail server delivering email which somebody sent to mistyped
address.

Like I said, false, tricksy spammers. . .

Henry