[THIN] Re: OT: Exchange 5.5 maintenance

  • From: <lynch00@xxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:25:29 -0400

Michael,

You wont see any new space when a user deletes items from their mailbox until
you run an offline defrag.  All the ESE engine will do is mark the pages within
the db as blank space.  In order to recover that blank space, and offline
defrag would need to be performed using the ESEUTIL utility.

If you don't have enough space on the server, you can copy ESEUTIL.EXE and
ESE.DLL to a seperate server along with the DB in question to perform the
offline defrag.  Now, I don't know how large the DB is and what kind of network
connectivity, so you might want to get an offline backup of the IS and restore
it to another location.  That might decrease the copy time.

Chris