[THIN] Re: OT - Event Viewer

  • From: Jim Kenzig <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 09:22:56 -0400

From Jsiinc.com
http://www.jsiinc.com/subc/tip1400/rh1487.htm
1487 » How do I recover from a corrupt Event log?

When you run the Event Viewer, any of the following messages usually
indicate a currupt event log:

The handle is invalid
Dr. Watson Services.exe
Exception: Access Violation (0xc0000005), Address: 0x76e073d4When you click
OK or cancel on the Dr. Watson error message, you may also receive the
following error message:
Event Viewer
Remote Procedure Call failed.The Event Logs (Sysevent.evt, Appevent.evt,
Secevent.evt) are always in use, so you can not delete or rename them. Use
any of the following methods:
Alternate Install

 Boot the alternate install, delete the Evcent logs from the
%Orig_SystemRoot%\system32\config folder.

You can logon Locally
 Use Control Panel / Services / Eventlog to configure Startup as Disabled.
Shutdown / Restart Windows NT. Delete the Event logs from
%SystemRoot%\system32\config. Use Control Panel / Services / Eventlog to
configure Startup as Automatic. Shutdown / Restart Windows NT.

You can connect remotely
 Use Regedt32 to alter the Start of the EventLog service to 0x4 (Disabled).
Use Shutdown from the Resource Kit to restart the computer. Delete the Event
logs (remotely or locally). Use Regedt32 to alter the Start of the EventLog
service to 0x2 (Automatic). Shutdown / Restart Windows NT.

Regards,
Jim Kenzig
http://thethin.net