[THIN] Re: OT: Effect of Solid State drives

  • From: "Malcolm Bruton" <malcolm.bruton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 19:05:06 -0400

Rick.  Do you have any details of the performance?  Did a quick Google
but didn't see much.  I've read that at the moment there is no real
difference between speed of the flash drives vs. traditional laptop hard
disks.  I do expect this to change though in the future.  The new 2.5
inch 10,000 RPM SAS drives are pretty fast vs. the old 3.5 inch 15 K
SCSI drives and I know that HP/Seagate are talking 15K 2.5 inch SAS
versions soon as well.

The article was in a PC mag in the UK but I can't find an online
version.

The Samsung drive was faster in some benchmarks when compared with a
5400 std notebook drives but not all tests

Malcolm