[THIN] Re: OT: Desktop Firewall

  • From: "Evan Mann" <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 09:44:38 -0400

XP Firewall won't provide outbound control, which IMO, is a huge part of
deploying firewall at the desktop level.  If you're going to go through
the desktop firewall process, you should get control and reporting both
inbound and outbound. Then there's the whole reporting to have to deal
with.  But, if your A/V product provides basic outbound port blocking,
you can use that to augment the fact that XP doesn't have outbound
control, which isn't half bad.

If you're looking to get a little more assistance with HIPS and not have
to go to McAfee support, subscribe to the yahoo group "tvdug".  It's
primarily McAfee users on that list, and even a couple Level II/III
McAfee support professionals frequent the list and reply to it.