[THIN] Re: OT: Dell PE 1855 Blade Servers

  • From: Matt Kosht <matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:12:10 -0500

The fire (some blue flames jetting out of the power supply) was caused
by a faulty power supply (apparently recalled I later found out).  The
Proliant 1600 did shut itself off before it melted the server into
goo.  I then waited a week for a back ordered power supply replacement
(it was file server for 100 people so this was not a good thing)

I had Dell servers that have ran for close to 7 years with no issues
whatsoever.
Dell's support has always been great for me personally.  I don't have
an issue with using HP or IBM.  A server is a box with commodity
components no matter who makes it.  IBM's Intel CPU's aren't any
different than Dell's (or any better). IBM/HP lost my PC
server/desktop business a long time ago. (We still buy a lot of IBM
Iseries/Pseries units though). They might be great servers now but I
have no reason to switch back to them and save money to boot. We
hosted about 6 company's servers here with a mix of HP/IBM/Dell
servers.  The Dell servers had far less problems for whatever reason.
Just my 2 cents. YMMV.