[THIN] OT - Creating a custom start menu / desktop

  • From: Chris Strug <chrisstrug@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 08:41:58 +0100

Hi all,

A little OT but I've done something similar in the past for published
desktops so was wondering if anyone could throw any pointers my way.

I've been asked to build a set of Vista desktops with a heavily locked down
UI - part of this is a restricted, non changable set of apps in the start
menu and desktop (i.e. Office + core apps).

I've done something very similar in the past for some Citrix published
desktops on 2003 so I imagine the process would be very similar - i.e. just
redirect a users start and desktop folders to a common location - however
for the life of me I can't get this to work.

I've tried to use group policy preferences but I'm still finding the users
start menu populated with stuff I don't want (i.e. "Accessories" menu item)
- even though I've set User Config > Policies > Admin Templates > Start Menu
and Taskbar > Remove Common program groups from the start menu.

Has anyone done this in Vista / 2008 and is able to give me a few pointers?

Chris

--
-
chris@xxxxxxxxxxx