[THIN] OT: Can't download files in WinXP

  • From: Steve Snyder <kwajalein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 13:33:23 +0200

Got an old WinXP box and for some weird reason I can no longer download
files in any browser. I could a few days ago so I assumed that AVG went
overly stupid protective (and the chrome forums seemed to indicate AVG as
the culprit) so I removed it completely including hacking and slashing
anything associated with AVG from the registry; still nothing. I also
downloaded microsoft's offline system cleaner and ran it, still screwey.

Here are the symptoms:

Firefox - when downloading a file it immediately cancels. If I restart it,
it downloads then immediately is deleted.

IE - I get the "Your security settings do not allow this file to be
downloaded." error. Checked the security settings and download was
disabled; enabled it, still no good. Also noticed that after I changed the
levels I can't hit the default level button as it's greyed out. Went into
the registry, deleted everything under HKLM & HKCU Policies, reboot, still
the same.

Stopped all unnecessary services, ran filemon and regmon - nothing jumps
out at me so far.

Any clues/ideas? (besides getting rid of the old XP PC that is ;) )