[THIN] Re: OT. Bulk permission changes

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:40:33 +0100

Comments inline...

Well for the first part, it is inherently suited - given that it is
"robust".

For the second - I had just this very bridge to cross with migration work -
and used scripted subinacl to resolve it.

> While I agree robocopy is good for keeping multiple shares in
> sync, it is terrible if you care about the ACL's since it
> trashes the owner information.

A bit unfair to say it's terrible of you care about the ACLs - since the
only thing it doesn't deal with is the ownership - and if you are capable of
scripting, and have a rationale, it's not to difficult to script to put
right. This, of course, assumes that file ownership is important to
individual implementations, and that it was correct in the first place.

> You will notice this
> especially if you have any ACL's based on CREATOR OWNER.
>
> The best way to do this is to simply use NTBACUP.  And, if
> you are on Windows 2000, you don't even need a tape drive.

Good call - nothing wrong with ntbackup.

In the scenarios I had to deal with, I had to script it, though, due to the
reorganisation of some of the directories / data.

But if it's pure like for like, ntbackup can be the weapon of choice. Of
course, the only limitation - and it can be quite a limitation, depending on
implementation, is the space needed to hold the transient backup, and the
(in effect) almost doubling of the time taken.

Neil

recipient(s) only and are confidential and may be privileged.
If they have come to you in error you must take no action based
on them, nor must you copy or disclose them or any part of
their contents to any person or organisation; please notify the
sender immediately and delete this e-mail and its attachments from
your computer system.

Please note that Internet communications are not necessarily secure
and may be changed, intercepted or corrupted. We advise that
you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us
and we will not accept any liability for any such changes,
interceptions or corruptions.

Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and its
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping
with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they
are actually virus free.

Copyright in this e-mail and attachments created by us belongs
to Littlewoods.

Littlewoods takes steps to prohibit the transmission of offensive,
obscene or discriminatory material.  If this message contains
inappropriate material please forward the e-mail intact to
postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and it will be investigated.
Statements and opinions contained in this e-mail may not
necessarily represent those of Littlewoods.

Please note that e-mail communication may be monitored.

Registered office:
Littlewoods Retail Limited,
Sir John Moores Building,
100 Old Hall Street,