[THIN] Re: OT: Blade Servers

  • From: "Rusty Yates" <rusty27@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 03:17:13 -0500

The reason I thought IBM was better than Dell was the Web Interface into the
Blade Chassis.  From what I saw I thought it was better.  But with that said
I still thought Dell was a better buy and that is why we have 30 Dell Blade
Servers (1855).  And in January we will be ordering another 30 Dell Blade
Servers (1955).

On 9/20/06, Joe Shonk <joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Actually, all three vendors have tight integration with Altiris (for HP it's call RDP, but it's just Altiris with the HP logo). I'm not quite sure why you think IBM is better than Dell? The Dell at least come with a real RAID controller... HP's SAS controller is crap and IBM, well let's just say the HS20s (8843) was nothing short of a cluster ...... On the bright side, HP blades do support Opterons processor unlike Dell... If your planning to running anything like VMware ESX on blades, the Opterons are the way to go.

Joe

On 9/20/06, Rusty Yates <rusty27@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We are using Dell OpenManager right now and the on board management for
> the blade chassis (which is ok) nothing like IBM.  But when we were looking
> at IBM, HP and Dell we knew IBM and HP were better but for what we needed
> Dell was better and we got more servers for the money.  This year we are
> looking at Altiris which has a piece that is designed just for Dell.  Looks
> sweet and pricing isn't that bad.
>
> On 9/19/06, Evan Mann < emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >  Are you using OpenManage or 3rd party for management? I've never been
> > impressed with OpenManage for non-Blade servers, but I'd imagine the Blade
> > variant is much different.
> >
> >  ------------------------------

will
> > > likely not be in ESX, but that is undecided.
> > >
> > > We will have a fiber connected SAN as well, but the plan isn't to
> > > boot off the SAN (right now at least).  It is unknown if we will connect
the
> > > entire blade chassis to the SAN, or servers individually. It depends on
the
> > > cost of the fiber switches.
> > >
> > > We are doing a lot of server consolidation as well to 2 existing
> > > 2850 (dual 3.4ghz Xeon's) running ESX3.  As we need more capacity,
> > > we will use additional Blades for ESX 3 and consolidation.
> > >
> > > The 10 blade chassis specs out to about 6k.  Each 3ghz Dual Core
> > > (woodcrest) blade with 16 gigs of RAM, 2x75gig SAS drives and dual
Broadcom