[THIN] Re: OT: Audit boundaries

  • From: Greg Reese <gareese@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:15:19 -0500

HIPAA doesn't specify any specific requirements for settings.  it says
"secure and safeguard your stuff" without actually telling you how to do it.
 There is really no right or wrong answer when it comes to securing
healthcare networks.  Be wary of anyone selling you something as "HIPAA
Compliant" there is no checklist or accreditation to get that label.

If an outside company is coming in the see if you guys are doing an ok job
of that, I would expect them to look at everything on the same network as a
single entity regardless of actual domain or OU membership.  If the packets
are traveling on the same wires, subnets, vlans, whatever, then it's all
fair game.

Greg