[THIN] Re: OT: Anyone familiar with SQL Replication

  • From: "James Lilly" <LillyJ@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 13:03:36 -0400

Have you looked at Log Shipping, as well?  Log Shipping may be the
quickest way to make it happen, with less overhead and complexity than
using SQL Server Replication....

As for the Distributor overhead, well, it depends on how often you
update and how you replicate, Snapshot every 5 minutes is NOT a good
idea, Transactional depends on the volume of changes, so on, so
forth...

Log Shipping simply performs transaction log backups at regular
intervals on the source server, runs a file copy job to move them to the
standby server, and then restores them in standby mode, which leaves the
DB in a read-only mode.  (Which it sounds like you want for
reporting...)

More info at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314515

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/maintain/logship1.mspx

Plus, as a bonus, you get a server ready to take over if the production
DB server fails...

Hope this helps;

James

>>> emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 10/25/2005 5:28:45 PM >>>
Has anyone done anything with SQL Server 2000 Replication?  I'm trying
to get a feel for the kind of overhead the distributor role adds to a
server to determine if I should use a remote distributor or not.

I'm also trying to find out how viable a solution this is for updating
data, as close to real time as possible, to a secondary server which I
will run all my reporting against, so as to not load down the primary
server.

This Weeks Sponsor: Cesura, Inc.
Know about Citrix end-user slowdowns before they know.
Know the probable cause, immediately.
Know it all now with this free white paper.
http://www.cesurasolutions.com/landing/WPBCForCitrix.htm?mc=WETBCC