[THIN] Re: OT: Anti-Virus Vendors (AGAIN)

  • From: Euan Cooper <Euan.Cooper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:52:36 +1300

Sometimes you have to make the best use of what you have - in my current job
I inherited McAfee TVD.   At the time we had just renewed our two year
contract with McAfee and given that they had never had a major virus
outbreak the chance of getting any money for any thing else was
non-existent.

With a bit of scripting I was able to fully automate the update process.

Then again no matter how good your antivirus software is there is always a
lead time between a new virus being discovered in the wild and the anti
virus software vendors having an update to detect it.

In my last job I shut down the SMTP gateway for half a day during the
explorer.zip worm outbreak.  I took a lot of flack from some of the PHBs
around the place but we didn't get caught either!  A few months after I left
they did get hit with the love bug and had their e-mail system down for
several days.   As I have mentioned before - you cannot rely on your users
not to open attachments - so you have to stop them from ever getting virus
infected ones.

-Ec