[THIN] Re: OT : Advice Sought

  • From: Jason Patten <pattenj@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:23:12 -0400

As I understand it, in england ALL receivers must be licensed.   Unlike the
U.S. where there are no restrictions on the Reception of broadcasts, and all
taxes and fees are levied at only broadcasters, in englad you must have a
license to own a receiver.

Here in the U.S. if a signal is being broadcast it is legal and acceptable
to receive it and there are no restrictions on receiving a signal.  There
may be restrictions on the Decryption of the signal as covered by the DMCA,
but the actual reception is not controlled.

The catch in the US being that ANYTHING that generates an RF signal counts
as a transmitter and thus must be licensed by the FCC.  SO almost any
electronics has to have an FCC approval before it can be sold.

It ties into the US policy of freedom of the press and speech.