[THIN] Re: OT: AMD Opteron

  • From: James Hill <HillJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:27:49 +1000

IBM has a 1U Scsi Version.  We have had one in production as a web front end
for about 6 months.  Great box, great performance.

We've decided to buy Opteron's from now on for our Servers.  They run cooler
and faster than the Xeon's in the majority of instances.  The fact that AMD
developed x64 and Intel just copied it is another strong reason for us to go
the Opteron's IMO.  You could almost call Intel's 64 bit chips(except the
Itanium's) clones :)

The dual cores are looking very good and a lot of reviews show them
trouncing the Xeon's.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2397

I can't wait for Windows Server x64 with a 64 bit edition of Citrix on a
dual core system with say 16GB ram.  Should well and truly fly.